Happy Friday the 13th! Now that winter is behind us and Memorial Day is just around the corner, perhaps it is time to start planning for vacation travel. Unfortunately, despite your best planning, sometimes, your choice of lodging does not always work out as well as planned. If you pull up to your destination for the evening and have second thoughts, here are some signs to help you decide if you have picked a bad motel.
- The parking lot is gravel.
- Sign out front proudly proclaims that the motel has air conditioning and a color TV.
- At check-in you are informed that all “non-infested” rooms have been taken.
- George Washington really did sleep there.
- Complimentary newspaper in the lobby has headline “Nixon Resigns.”
- Coffee syrup is available twenty-four hours a day.
- The mint on the pillow runs away when the light is turned on.
- The pictures on the walls are strategically placed over bullet holes.
- You have to wait until the guy next door is done with the towel so you can use it.
- There’s a chalk outline on the floor and part of the room is blocked off with yellow tape.
- Wakeup call is provided by police helicopters.
- Occasionally the lights dim, and a man’s muffled screams can be heard in the distance.
- The pool doubles as a wet lands wildlife habitat.
- Hotel clerk has an eerie resemblance to Norman Bates.
Thought for the Week
And that’s the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. ~Dave Barry